Thursday, April 2, 2009

So, Jeff Eaton. He's awesome. He's a photographer and sculpture and he has a show in the VA today! Go to it. It's bound to be amazing. Also here's an interview with the guy, seems pretty great:

1. What made you interested in photography?
Well, I remember starting to take lots of photographs in high school. I photographed my friends skateboarding and I would also photograph bands at shows. I got really into that and started doing group portraits of the bands. I think that I wanted to both document these experiences and share the photographs with my friends and other people. My friend Paul could drive before I could and we would go out into more rural areas or into the heart of Kansas City and make photographs.

2. Who is your favorite artist?
John Cage

3. Do you like film or digital better?
Aspects of both. I find myself shooting film and scanning the film to create a digital file that is then output digitally.

4. Favorite thing to shoot.
Absence

5. Favorite color!
Is middle grey a color?

6. Favorite band.
Joan of Arc

7. How long have you been taking pictures?
I think the first pictures I made were Polaroids with my Grandfather's camera in the 6h grade, so since 1997- 12 years.

8. What would be your suggestion to others that want to get into the photography field?
I am starting to learn that a photographer is interested in finding, collecting, and remembering. If one has the desire to fix an image of nature then photography is an appropriate field to become involved with. Photography is so accessible and familiar and we are so good at interpreting images (since they surround our environment). A photographer becomes aware of these notions while capturing some particularly interesting or significant thing. So photography encourages being honest, observant, and patient.


--It looks like he's got a good head on his shoulders. Can't wait to see his show later on today.

No comments:

Post a Comment